Sunday, February 15, 2015

THE MAN I MARRIED 12



It has been a week since my mother in law came and left and I am still as dumbfounded as I was when she left. I just cannot fathom how I have come to be at this crossroad. My house feels so lonely. Toba and I have not spoken in a week, he just cannot approach me. I am still not sure what decision I want to make. Is this a marriage or not? Are we really expected to endure as many lies and deceit as this as women. I called Oyin yesterday night to pour out my heart and even she had no solution. He had obviously not cheated on me, he had done much worse. He had married me based on lies.The conversation had started in a funny way last Saturday when my mother in law came. She said, "You need to know that I love you so much and I have taken you like my daughter from the time you married Toba"


That line was obviously meant to calm me down but I have never heard a more inflaming line. It got all the seven sparks in my head flying up and down. Reminded me of all those Nollywood movies and the final scene where the families call a meeting. Could it be that Toba had impregnated somebody?  I looked over at him and he seemed to be as clueless as I was.That will be the perfect Yoruba movie story. I would not even bulge if that is the case, I already told myself mentally. That will be the end of our marriage.

Toba seemed to think his mum was being overly dramatic and he was taking it all as a joke. He ignored her and was busy pressing his iPad and playing his candy crush. She came in Friday evening after several hours of flight delay and basically just ate dinner and dropped into bed. I expected us to wake up this morning and start planning for the wedding I had to attend but she said she wanted to discuss with us both. Toba's excuse of having places to go did not fly with her and she said it was extremely important. Hence, the Nollywood retro feeling I was having.

"Tamilore dear, I could have discussed this with Toba beforehand but I don't want to do you any disservice neither do I want any secrets in this family".

That made Toba's head shoot up and his face contorted with seriousness. From the time she said the first line, I knew there was no point expecting a denial from my dear husband. He immediately put his head in his hands as it was overridden with all the guilt anybody could muster. I was shocked, dumbfounded and definitely did not see this coming. She started by saying,

"Toba do you know any Cynthia Akpan?"

Since Toba gave no response to that and I already asked who that was, she decided to enlighten me. Apparently, Toba had done a whole lot in the ten years he lived in London. Cynthia is the mother of his kids and yes not just one. My dear husband has two children. A girl aged 6 and a boy aged 4. Cynthia somehow came back to Nigeria to find Toba's parents. She was reported to have explained that she and Toba had been living together for a long time. They met few years after he arrived London. The first child was definitely unplanned and by the time the second child came, they had resolved to get married. Toba had advised her that telling his parents about the kids over the phone was a terrible idea because they did not support children out of wedlock. The plan was for him to come back to Nigeria and tell them about the family and make wedding plans. She was surprised after a few months when she stopped hearing from Toba. Next thing she saw was our wedding being featured on different Nigerian blogs . That was when she knew Toba had ditched his family and she started making plans to come back home with the children. The children were in Nigeria now and she wanted to give Toba his two children, seeing that he cannot now marry her and go back to the United Kingdom.

"Toba, please explain to your wife and I what happened because I want to believe this is a kind of set up".

He was stupid enough to belittle me the more by saying, he had planned to marry her until he met me again and fell in love all over again. Imagine my shock at such stupid excuse. His mum started raking and shouting about how disappointed she was. She could not believe her son could abandon his two children. As for me, I could not just wrap my head round the whole story yet. What if the lady never came forward? What if I never have any more children? Am I supposed to bring two children into my home? Is this even a marriage in the first place and should I not just pack my bags and go start over? I was shedding tears but could not say a word. Toba was already begging and begging but I was just blank. How did I not see through his deception? My mother in law was telling me it was my choice whether to live with the children or leave them with her. She did not even consider the fact that leaving her son was one of my choices. I needed to clear my head so I took my car keys and left the house. None of them tried to stop me.....

I have still not made up my mind on what to do...I just do not know....



Thanks to you all that read and shared your thoughts about this story. Your words always inspire me to write. I pray that the hand of God will heal every broken marriage and that he will guide those who are still single on making the right choices. My next story titled, "IMPOSSIBLE TO LOVE" starts on the 1st of March, I look forward to going on that journey with you all. The man I married will be available for download on Okada books just like Happily ever after for those of you who cannot just deal with the weekly suspense. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I CELEBRATE YOU ALL.

38 comments:

  1. How nice. After keeping me in suspense since morning but I enjoyed the story all the way,may God grant you more wisdom. But is this the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.is dis how it end? Wetin come do d marriage? Wat did she decide? Did she get bak wit him? Wat of d kids? So many questions left unanswere.hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet that all the questions are left to your imagination.

      Delete
  3. I have checked more than 5times for this part. Oh dear Tami I feel ur paun,i knew from onset Toba coming out from the blues is not real. Jus accept the kids and pray for a forgiving spirit. Hey Oni! Is it like this u will leave us hanging so many. I believe so many questions still needs to b answered n Wat will b d end of Tami. Much love n kisses Oni. Keep d good work going

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, nice one.. Keep up d good work, God will continue to give u wisdom to do more Ijn.... Can't wait for your next story .... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. The suspense is still dere oo. Biko, give it a better ending. Chai, toba wicked ooo
    Pamscrib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....very captivating, kudos Mr Oni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...a friend always sends me the link but this is my first comment. I totally loved it,I wish I could punish toba though. More grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big thanks to your friend and of course to you for following....lol..Let us hatch out a plan to punish him

      Delete
  8. Thanks Oni.I followed this story all through..A lot to learn from it especially to the singles out there.Sometimes your First love is not necesarily your True Love..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome..very true talk....one of the many lessons

      Delete
  9. Very interesting story so far,the lesson has been learnt,But the suspense is still there, it kept us wondering, what will her decision be nd so on. Well done may God continue to grant you his infinite wisdom to more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haa! The suspense is still there but Toba deserves to be punished. Infact am short of the right word... what a lovely story though. can't wait for 1st March

    ReplyDelete
  11. An open ended story is a technique to afford u d opportunity to end it how ever you want but for morality n christianity,she should forgive n go back to her husband as her mother inlaw ddnt even think dat waz an option;she only considered where n how she wanted d kids to be.
    GOD bless you Oni,marriage is sure not 4 d weak buh HIS Grace is sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely story, Tunde. Can you give us right to publish it on DNB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Please email me on that and I will respond. tundeoni2@gmail.com

      Delete
  13. I really loved this story. Marriage is indeed tough and not for the faint hearted. So many obstacles that even makes me wonder if marriage is even worth going into but then life in general is full of obstacles that no one can actually avoid. Its the grace of God that keeps us going. Thanks for the writing this......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just knew Toba will be a bad ending. Chai! The guy should have had his peepee cut off except that won't help Tami if she decided to stay with him. Ha aye le o!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loooollllll....let's not go violent yet

      Delete
  15. Wow! Nice piece beautifully put together, it sure was suspense-filled and eye-popping...enjoyed every bit of it. More Grace Dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mrs Oni good evening oh.today is 1st March,where is our new story naa? I don wait d thing tire.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stories are awesome - I love them so much. Here is greetings from California...keep up the good work. I just keep smiling when reading your stories. I love love stories a lot - makes me so happy. Toba is a sleazeball - I am highly disappointed in his character. I wish all Tammy's in the world the best in life. I now wished she chose Abbey - but who knows what he will come up with as well. Since he also verbally abused her - slut name calling. Your stories are quiet interesting regardless.Looking forward to more entertaining stories from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such support. God bless you.Glad you loved it

      Delete
  18. Thanks for this master piece. It is really inspiring. I started reading your stories about a week ago, and i have read all, and eagerly waiting for the latest post on " Impossible to love". I got to know about your blog from BABES! Redefined. I pray singles ladies will patiently wait on God's leading, use their head, and not rely on emotions alone to be a deciding factor. Tammy failed to do background checks on a guy she has not seen for a decade, so she is paying for her negligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and following. I celebrate you.

      Delete
  19. Tunde, please what do I need to download the stories ? I am so stuck with your blogs for days nownow. Well done girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading. This story and Happily ever after which was my first story can be downloaded from the links by the side of the website. I am yet to compile the others so you just need to read them on the blog.

      Delete